Whether you are moving to Utah, or just passing through on vacation, you will be amazed to learn about their sporting attachments. When you think of Utah, chances are you don’t typically consider what sports teams might call Utah home. And, in truth, you probably haven’t heard of the teams that do.
That is ok though, because now you will know something about Utah you never imagined. How about the fact that there are three professional baseball teams in Utah? Or that Utah has its own professional soccer, hockey, football and basketball teams? Let’s learn more now.
Utah’s Professional Sports Teams
Certainly the three professional baseball teams are probably not using the Demarini CF7. But if the players got their starts in Utah, they might be quite familiar with that youth stage bat. Regardless, the fact that Utah has three professional baseball teams is quite interesting. These teams are:
- Salt Lake Bees- They play in the Pacific Coast League as a minor league team. They are considered a Triple A affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels. Home games happen at Smith’s Ballpark in Salt Lake. It opened in 1994 and the fans call it the Apiary.
- Orem Owlz- Also attached to the Angels of Anaheim franchise, the Owlz are a minor league team. Their mascot is a red owl with a baseball shaped head named, Hootz. They play in the Pioneer League. Home games are played at Brent Brown Ballpark. The Owlz won the Pioneer League championships in 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2009.
- Ogden Raptors- The Raptors play in the Pioneer League too. Their home games are played at Lindquist Field, which has been named the field with the best view by a baseball writer. This team is attached to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Some famous major league players have been on the Raptors: Prince Fielder, Ben Sheets, Bill Hall, and J.J. Hardy. At one point in their history they were managed by Tommy Lasorda. And, a book has been written about them as well: Minor Players, Major Dreams. Learn more.
When it comes to other sports Utah is not devoid. They have several other sporting teams:
- Utah Jazz Basketball
- Real Salt Lake Major League Soccer
- Salt Lake City Sparta Women’s Premier Soccer
- Utah Starzz (formerly known as Utah Spiders) Women’s Premier Soccer
- Ogden Outlaws Premier Development League Soccer
- Utah Grizzlies Ice Hockey ECHL
- Utah Argonauts Professional Developmental Football League
- Utah Blitz Women’s Football Alliance
- Salt Lake Lions American Ultimate Disc League
- Real Monarchs United Soccer League
- Salt Lake City Stars Basketball NBA Development League
They also have six college teams worthy of investigation during your visit:
- BYU Cougars
- Utah Utes
- Utah State Aggies
- UVU Wolverines
- Weber State Wildcats
- Southern Utah Thunderbirds
You can learn more about these teams by clicking here.
Utah is full of great places to see. While you are enjoying the scenery at: Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Lake Powell, Delicate Arch, Zion National Park, Mount Timpanogos, and Valley of the Gods, you can be planning which team to watch play.
Of course, with all the natural beauty available to you on your venture to Utah, your desires for sporting events might be decidedly depleted. However, if you just can’t help yourself, there is no doubt you will be able to see some sort of competitive sport while you are there. Plan accordingly.